Fire danger period to end south of the river
by James Poyner
17th March 2017
The CFA have declared the fire danger period for District 13 will finish at 1am on March 20, this includes Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, and Yarra Ranges Council areas.
CFA Operations Manager Dave Renkin urges people to remember to adhere to local council regulations, and to register their burn-offs.
“Calls to unregistered burn-offs take volunteer firefighters away from workplaces, families and potentially genuine emergencies,” he said.
Given Nillumbik still has fire restrictions in place, taking the necessary precautions when planning to burn-off will allow the fire authorities to react efficiently to all fire calls.
“If you haven’t registered your burn you can expect some disgruntled fireys arriving at your property asking you to ‘please explain’,” Mr Renkin said.
Keep your burn off safe and legal:
- Check fire restrictions in your area and always register your burn.
- Check and monitor weather conditions — particularly wind.
- Warn your neighbours beforehand that there will be smoke in the air.
- Stay in attendance the whole time your burn is going.
- Have sufficient equipment and water to stop the fire spreading.
Landowners can register their burn-off with the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) by calling 1800 668 511 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo: Stephen Reynolds